Five Things You Should Do After a Road Accident

Road accidents are one of the main causes of serious injury in Victoria and throughout Australia. While some may seem minor, each one has the potential to cause serious harm, even when injuries first appear mild or inconsequential.

At u-Law, we understand how important it is that you receive the compensation you need to recover from injury. By following these five steps, you can ensure you’re protected should any medical treatments or time off work be required as a result of your accident – whether today or in the future.

Report your accident to the police

When you have been in a major road accident, it is recommended that you contact the police while still at the site. If you or any party have sustained serious injuries, you should call emergency 000 immediately.

If the accident is minor, or you don’t believe any injuries have been sustained, you can contact the police non-emergency number, or visit your nearest station to file a statement.

Gather and record information

After an accident, it’s normal to feel confused or disoriented. Later, when you try to recall specifics, your memory can be foggy. That’s why it’s important to gather as much information as possible at the scene, and that you record it right away.

Write down contact details of anyone involved in the accident, as well as driver licenses and vehicle registration numbers. We recommend you also record the contact details of any nearby witnesses of the accident should they need to be called upon in the future. If the police are called to the site, they will likely arrange this for you.

Notify your insurance company

As soon as practicable, it’s important that you contact your insurance company and inform them of your accident. They will ask you to recount the incident, so it’s ideal that you do this quickly while your memory is still fresh.

They will also ask for the information you have gathered from the other parties, including contact details, driver licenses and registration numbers, and may also ask for witness details if there are any. Depending on the severity of the accident, they may also require that you contact the police.

Seek proper medical treatment

Regardless how minor your injuries appear, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible following a road accident. While you may walk away feeling perfectly fine, there are some injuries that can take time to display symptoms. Leaving them untreated – and unreported – can lead to serious and potentially life-impacting problems in the future, while also limiting your ability to make a compensation claim for the associated costs.

Types of injuries that may take some time to appear include:

  • Head injuries, such as concussion and traumatic brain injury
  • Internal injuries and bruising
  • Back and neck injuries, such as slipped or herniated discs
  • Muscle and tendon strain, sprains and tears
  • And more

Make a claim with the Transport Accident Commission

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) can pay for the treatment and support services you need to get back on track, even if the accident was your fault. While you may not think your injuries require assistance or compensation, failing to report your accident could stand in your way if you do need it in the future.

How do you make a claim with the TAC?

In order to make a claim, call the TAC on 1300 654 329. You will need to provide all the information you gathered at the accident scene, including details of police attendance or of the station it was reported to. If you have had more than five days off work due to the accident, they will request your employment details as well.

What is covered by the TAC?

The TAC can automatically approve a variety of treatments to help with your accident injuries. These include:

  • Allied health and physical therapies
  • Ambulance services and hospital treatment
  • Doctor appointments
  • X-rays and scans
  • Surgery and rehabilitation services
  • Medication, basic equipment and medical aids
  • Dental services
  • Community nursing and support at home
  • Mental health services
  • Travel and accommodation
  • Support for family members

Additional treatments and services may also be covered; however, they will require approval depending on your injuries.

Contact u-Law for assistance

At any point following your road accident if you would like to speak to a professional, u-Law is here to help. We have the skills and experience needed to provide you with claim advice relating to your accident. When employed as your formal representation, we can also complete a TAC claim on your behalf, helping to simplify the process for you. Best of all, no matter where in Victoria you’re located, we’ll come to you.

If you would like to learn more, fill in our online enquiry form and we’ll get in touch as soon as possible.

Tagged in
Leave a reply